Combination Washer Dispenser EL406 with Incubator
The EL406 Combination Washer Dispenser (see stand-alone with Biostacker) is coupled to a Liconic Instruments CO2 incubator for cell culture via a plate handler ‘Twister II’ from Perkin Elmer.
Complex multi-layered protocols for the washer/dispenser with incubation steps can be programmed on the EL406 that is linked to the Incubator via the Twister plate handler. The iLink Pro software links integrates the different softwares to control the individual devices.
The washer-dispenser is placed within a sterile laminar flow hood, which, in operational mode does not disrupt the serving of the washer-dispenser by the Twister arm. This setup carries out a typical workflow for high-throughput screening as follows: Ready-to-use cell-plates are loaded into the stackers of the Twister, moved onto the washer-dispenser to add cells, and then moved into the incubator. When cells are ready (e.g. after RNAi or drug treatment), plates can be again loaded onto the washer-dispenser for an assay, after which plates are moved into the incubator for incubation time. Finally, plates are moved onto the washer-dispenser, where cells are fixed, and back into the Twister stacker ready for further processing on another device.
- 96 channel pipetting head for dispension (small needles) and aspiration (larger needles). In short ‘W’ for Washer. This head is qualified to dispense and aspirate large volumes (it is mostly used for aspiration).
- 2 x 16 channel head only for dispensing. Called ‘S’ for Syringe. It is used for volumes above 15 ul. In general all dispensing of washing buffers.
- 8 channel head, volume controlled by peristaltic pump. Is used for volumes above 5 ul, generally all low volume dispensing and the dispensing of valuable reagents.
- Twister II plate handler that can store and pass-through microtiterplates between the washer/dispenser and the incubator.
- Liconic Instruments incubator for cell culture with a rotating plate storage, a capacity for 110 microtiterplates and a temperature range from 33-50°C.